Finderne Development Trust (FDT) was formed in 2018 to act as the anchor organisation and key driver of the sustainable rural regeneration of the area of Finderne. Finderne is the stunningly beautiful area that surrounds Logie Steading and encompasses the small settlements of Rafford, Easter Lawrenceton, Dunphail, Edinkillie, Logie, Cathay, Altyre, Burgie, Blairs, Blervie, Brodieshill, Relugas, Glenerney and Braemoray.
FDT is a membership organization, managed by a voluntary Board of Directors who are responsible for ensuring the Trust works towards “unlocking the future” for Finderne and achieving its vision.
FDT’s vision captures Finderne’s special sense of place, its outstanding environmental and cultural qualities and its ambition to help nurture these qualities whilst at the same time helping to make it socially attractive and economically possible for people of all ages to live and make their livelihoods in the area for the long term.
This vision is encapsulated as:
“Finderne is home to a welcoming community where people of all ages want to live, work and visit because of its outstanding environment and the quality of life it offers.”
FDT’s vision is supported by its 5-year strategic plan which sets out priority projects to advance the social, economic,environmental and cultural development of Finderne. These projects have been formed as a result of a 6-month long community consultation process which set out to identify the key issues, challenges and opportunities for the area and its community.
To enable FDT to take forward these projects, the developers of Logie Wind Farm – Hill of Glaschyle Renewables LLP – have undertaken to provide core funding from its community benefit fund to facilitate the operation of the Trust over the next 25 years.
To achieve FDT’s vision, efforts will be concentrated on delivering against its three strategic themes:
- SOCIAL – developing a stronger identity for Finderne, a more balanced demographic, enhanced well-being and combatting social isolation.
- ECONOMIC – facilitating availability of infrastructure to support local businesses and encouraging more people to establish livelihoods in Finderne’s rural industries.
- ENVIRONMENT, ART & CULTURE – creating opportunities to access, enjoy and participate in environmental stewardship and enhancing and cultural life of Finderne.
FDT will focus on six projects in its initial years of delivering its strategy:
- Community Broadband
- Rural-based Apprenticeships
- Energy Efficient Living – including a wide range of economic and environmental projects
- A Community Hub
- Community Home Care and Well-being
- Recreational Routes – with a focus on working in partnership with the Dava Way Association to develop the Dava Way as one of the key routes for the area
FDT’s office is located in the timber-clad building behind Logie Steading’s shops and cafe. You can stop by to find out more about their plans. The Trust hold an open office hour every Tuesday at 11:00 to meet those interested in their plans, answer questions and discuss their priority projects. Find out more about how you can support them by joining as a member or visit their website at www.findernedevelopmenttrust.com.