Come and spend a relaxing 5 days in the woods creating a piece of handmade furniture. Set outside in a beautiful woodland workshop over-looking the river Findhorn on Logie Estate. You will learn a wide range of traditional "Green Woodworking" techniques. Using hand tools and locally sourced wood you will be guided through the process of making your very own "Logie Lowbow" chair.
This style is loosely based upon the vernacular highland furniture of the past with a contemporary twist to make the chair more practical in this day and age. A key feature being the streambent backrest - this is angled in such a way that it also doubles up as an armrest.
It can be used either as an occasional chair or a large dining chair.
- Choosing the correct timber
- Cleaving a log using metal wedges and a Froe (traditional hand tool)
- Working the legs and spindles using a shave horse, drawknife and spokeshave
- Jointing using a traditional method
- Steam bending the backrest
- Shaping the seat using traditional handtools
£420 plus cost of hardwood seat.
Course price does not include the hardwood seat for your chair. You will get to choose from a selection and this is payable on the day. Estimated cost is between £10 - £50.
This course start's at 10am on the first day and 9am thereafter and finishes around 4pm each day. All tools and materials provided.